French-modified Boehm flutes
Unlike his conical flute of 1832, Boehm did patent
the cylindrical flute of 1847
in France and England, licensing its production to Godfroy
& Lot in Paris and Rudall & Rose in London.
French makers modified the mechanism and tone of the
the new flute, which became the Paris Conservatoire's
official flute when Louis Dorus succeeded Jean-Louis
Tulou in 1860. At about the same time silver flutes
became more popular than wood ones among Parisian players.
Thus the metal cylindrical Boehm flute as modified by
the French makers became the standard flute of the French
Flute School, which became highly influential in
the early 20th century. Louis Lot, as the Conservatoire's
official supplier of flutes, became the most famous
maker, but others including Auguste Bonneville (fl 1876-
p1950), Claude Rive (fl 1877-p1895), Louis Léon Joseph
Lebret (1862-p1928), and J. Daufresne (fl p1880-p1914)
were also noted for professional-quality flutes.
Chapter 11, 'The French Flute School', of Ardal Powell's
The Flute (Yale University
Press, 2002) contains more information on this topic.